German Bratkartoffeln

My English friends often asked me how to make German Bratkartoffeln because they never seemed to get the hang of it. Well, here it goes:

This simple recipe is based on 6 middle-sized potatoes (and on trial and error). The  other quantities are more or less to taste.

Ingredients
6 primarily waxy potatoes
Pork belly and fatback
1 large onion or 2 smaller onions
Salt and pepper

Method
Boil the potatoes in the skin, peel and cut into not too slim slices. (I always cook them longer than necessary and squash them in the pan, because then they'll better absorb the fat, but that's a matter of taste. If you don't like it too greasy, don't.)
Use a non-non-stick frying pan.
Render small dices of  pork belly and fatback in the pan to the point where they are shrivelled to tiny crispy bits. Don't be too shy with the amount of pork belly and fatback, you'll need quite some fat. I use about a quarter of the pork belly and fatback each pictured below, but that's a lot.
Cut the onion(s) into chunky rings (or you may coarsely dice them should you prefer that), fry them in the fat. It's better to add them while pork belly and fatback aren't totally shrivelled, because the crispy bits might get scorched. Fry to a point where they are yet not dark brown, but that, again, is matter of taste. I prefer them just pale yellow).
Add the potatoes and fry them as brown as you like. Stir often.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

Pork Belly
Fatback
I like it with fried eggs. Pickled gherkins (I prefer those with a tad of sweet) and lettuce salad go well with it too. (Easy dressing for green lettuce salad: whipping cream, lemon juice, salt and pepper - all to taste. Finely chopped onions or chives can be added.)

This is how it will approximately look. As I said, I take my illustrations from cookbooks or the Internet, because amateur snapshots of food tend to be offputting.

Notabene: Serves not more than two as a main dish.